An interesting thing happens through asana practice. You learn something about your Self and life, or in some ways, unlearn things about self and life. You open yourself up to so much. Inspiration, revelations, deep compassion. Things are left behind, others brought forward into life. Here is but a short list of what I have learned on the mat through my Yoga practice.
1. There is no such thing as perfection.
2. I can be with discomfort, move through it, and still breathe.
3. Don't be so serious. Smile and laugh often.
4. It doesn't matter how the pose looks. How does it feel?
7. Be in the moment. Leave the past and let go of the future. You are building your life now.
8. What I resist is often what I need most.
9. Truthfulness is more than words and actions. Its the place the heart resides.
10. Yoga is union, not of just body, mind, and spirit. Union of your Self with all of the universe. The dark and light, pain and bliss. Experience it, savor it.
11. An abundance of gratitude.
I know my list is longer, and will only grow with each step on the mat.
How about you, what lessons have you taken from your experiences on the mat?